Communication in the modern digital age is dominated by text messaging. Text messages can be sent quickly and easily through SMS. Privacy and security are some of the drawbacks of traditional SMS.
Privacy problems with traditional sms
While SMS is incredibly convenient for quick conversations on the go, it has some flaws when it comes to keeping your messages private:
- SMS messages are stored on your phone and your carrier’s servers. They have access to your entire text history.
- SMS messages are not encrypted by default, making them easy to intercept and read by third parties.
- On many phones, SMS notification previews appear on your lock screen for anyone to see.
- SMS messages accessed by government agencies and law enforcement via subpoenas to phone carriers.
- If you lose your phone, anyone who finds it easily read your entire text history.
For these reasons, SMS is not ideal if you want to send private, sensitive information that you don’t want easily accessed by others without your permission.
Privnote – Encrypted and temporary text messaging
- You go to the Privnote website or mobile app and type out a text note.
- Privnote encrypts your message with a link. Only someone with this unique link view the message.
- You copy the link and send it to a recipient via email, SMS, messenger app, etc.
- The recipient clicks the Privnote link to view your message.
- Once opened, a Privnote message only be viewed once and then it is permanently deleted from Privnote’s servers.
It achieves temporary, encrypted messaging without having to download bulky apps. And because Privnotes self-destructs after being read once, your private texts don’t linger on any device or server. Let’s look at some key benefits:
Benefits of temporary messages
- Encrypted end-to-end – Messages are encrypted in transit and are only accessible to someone with a unique link.
- Leave no trace – Privnotes are deleted from servers after being read once for complete privacy.
- Simple to use – No registration or login required. Send the link to a note you create.
- Accessible across devices – Privnotes work on all smartphones, tablets, and computers.
- Better for sensitive info – Temporary messages are safer for private information.
- More control – The sender decides when the message expires compared to SMS.
- Reduced anxiety – Temp messages cannot be accessed after being read, reducing worries.
- Visually discreet – No preview or history so contents stay private.
Temporary messaging solutions like Privnote solve many of the privacy pitfalls of SMS. The peace of mind from encrypted, ephemeral communications is why they are becoming so popular. tornote.io provides more details.
Rise of ephemeral messaging
Temporary encrypted messaging apps have exploded in popularity recently. Several factors are fueling this rise in ephemeral messaging:
- More awareness of online privacy concerns due to scandals and data breaches
- People want added security as they use messaging for more sensitive topics
- Preference for privacy as messaging replaces other private communication
- Temp messages feel more intimate and candid since they’re not permanent
- Anxiety over the permanence of digital communication persists forever
- Backlash against the oversharing culture of social media